Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Harry Beckes 7/15/96-7/27/11


Saying goodbye to an old friend for the last time is hard to do, but my little buddy had reached a point at which I decided to end his suffering.  He had kidney failure and cancer, and he was hurting.  I could feel it when I held him, he would involuntarily quiver.  A year ago he weighed over 16 pounds, today he was less than half that, just skin and bones.  He never complained and kept up the good fight but it was time.  Just a month ago he had caught a rabbit and brought it home to us, now he was having a tough time jumping up for his food and water.
He had just celebrated his 16th birthday.  I remember bringing him home from the pet store, he was skinny and scraggly and Connie thought I had lost my mind.  Little did she know what a handsome, loving cat he would become.  I named him Harry after Harry Houdini; he was a great escape artist. Except for the sliding door, there was no door in the house that he could not open and he always kept us laughing with his antics.  When our dog Poco would walk down the hallway, Harry would jump out in front of him, looking like Kato, the sidekick of Inspector Clousieu in the Pink Panther series.  Every night he would warm my lap and my heart; I loved him very much.

No comments: