Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Land of my Forefathers

My Dad left Yakima, Washington as a young man and hitch-hiked his way to Southern California to look for a better life. His Dad was struggling, working at the sawmill as a carpenter, His Mom had died when he was young. He had also lost a brother to drowning. When Dad retired he and Mom moved back to Washington, this time to La Conner. After enjoying several years of retirement, he went out fishing in his cabin-cruiser and never came back; eventually his fate was that of his brother's. I have five years to go to be as old as my Dad was; there are no boat trips in my future! I feel at home here, I also feel cool here, it's 55 degrees and 100+ in Surprise.  We are in our favorite spot here at Mt. Vernon TTN park, surrounded by the green of trees, grass and raspberry bushes. We just used up the last of the raspberry jam we had made last year from this very spot.

No comments: